Wednesday, January 28, 2009

La Casa Verde

It's been a while since I've posted because we are still waiting for our Internet to get hooked up at our new place. Right now I am at Innotec. I have to pick Michael up from work since we still only have one car. I'm updating the blog and checking my email while Michael is working on a grill he is making out of scrap metal in true Mexican style. It actually looks pretty nice.

Sunday night we moved into our Casa Verde (green house). I spent Monday and Tuesday unpacking, rearranging, and cleaning our house. It feels so good to finally be in a place of our own. Last night we even got the television hooked up! Originally we were not going to have TV, but since there isn't always a lot to do at night, we thought it was worth the money. Plus, it sure makes it easier for me to be home alone during the day. I spent a good portion of today on my purple couch under my favorite blanket from home watching good ole American TV. It's amazing how exciting it was to hear English!

Our dogs are adjusting well. They are getting used to their boundaries at the new place. Sadie is still on a never-ending mission to find a leaf blowing across the ground. Poor thing. A part of me wants to smuggle some leaves in and scatter them around the house so she has something exciting to look forward to. Their dog cage is as Mexican as is gets. We cemented the posts in and wrapped an old green fence around it. Michael found scrap metal for a gate and we stuck cardboard on one side for shade. The door shuts by sliding bricks against the front, tying an old shoelace around the pole, and bungee-cording it for good measure.

Solovino (who I shortened to Vino, which also means wine), likes the house, too. He doesn't like the dogs sniffing around the front door and promptly scurries up on top of the fridge. There he patiently waits, high on his perch purring away, until the dogs are bungee-corded back in their coop. I do have to address his sharp front claws, however. He has used my arm as a scratching post more than once and last night one of his nails got stuck in my ear when he took a swing at a loose strand of hair! Yeah, we will be making a vet visit soon.

This weekend Michael and I are heading to San Antonio, Texas. We plan to leave tomorrow around noon. Michael's dad, Chuck, will be there for work - so the timing works out great. It will be nice to see him again and spend some time relaxing. We hear it's a beautiful city. Pray for safe travels and that the border crossing goes well - no bomb threats!

I'll post more when we get back. Hopefully we'll have Internet at our house by then.

No comments: