Wednesday, January 21, 2009

It's all Chinese to me

Last night Michael and I went out for our first Chinese meal in Mexico. It was not the experience I had hoped for. The buffet had clearly not been filled with fresh servings in quite some time. The crusted food clung to the sides of the silver trays. At least people running the Chinese restaurants in Michigan attempt to make the food look more appealing by stirring it around on occasion. It tasted different, too. But my biggest issue was trying to figure out what everything was. This can be a daunting task when the Chinese food is described with broken English subtitles. But when it's in Spanish, forget about it. Plus, they didn't have crab rangoons. And that was the one thing we were both craving!

Below are a few pictures from Sunday afternoon. Michael and I drove into downtown Saltillo and walked around for a while. We went to a market and both got a cowboy hat. Michael also got cowboy boots. Oh boy, here we go! Life on the ranch has begun.



True Mexican market. Can you imagine? "Honey, can you run to the market and pick up another pig head? We have company coming over."


LOTS of pinatas


Beautiful cathedral


A very common sight in Mexico. Hombres in sombreros watching the day drift by.

3 comments:

KIM said...

Oh how funny Carrie - the pig head got me - scary!! AND to think people actually will buy this and possible eat it?? Yeah... not for me. I am SO glad you started this blog - it is so fun to read all your experiences - thank for sharing!! Blogging is addicting huh? Although I am at a loss with my blog - just lost the touch I think.. need to get back at it. Hope you are well tonight - thinking of you!!!

MARIANNE said...

Just in case it might help... Egg Drop Soup in spanish (at least in Peru) is called Soup Fu-ji-fu. BTW, I want a pic of you two in the hats!

Jennifer said...

Caden definitely wants you to bring him a pinata bag, preferably full of goodies! Grant requests the pig's head, of course! :)