Thursday, June 11, 2009

Storms

It's another peaceful day in Mexico.

I started a load of laundry then enjoyed a cup of coffee early this morning - before it got too hot. I sat down at my computer and read some emails and facebook messages from friends and family back home. You have no idea how exciting it is to receive "mail." Thank you!

The weather has been strange the past couple days. Yesterday felt ridiculously hot. I sat on my purple sofa with the fan blowing on me. Once in a while, I would go to the kitchen sink and splash some water on my face. I joked about getting an inflatable kiddie pool down here. It's not sounding like such a silly idea anymore! Although, I'm sure it wouldn't last long with four dogs. They would either swim in it - gross... or, more likely, they would eat it. So for now, I'll stick with the fan.

In the afternoon, a thunderstorm rolled in. It got windy and HUGE drops of rain began to fall. By the time I looked outside and thought, "Hummm... it's raining," the big drops turned into a torrential downpour! It was amazing! I ran around shutting the windows because the rain was blowing in. Then I went outside and stood under our little eave at the front of the house and just watched the storm. The air had turned cool and the breeze felt wonderful on my face. The water poured off our roof and splashed over my toes. I listened to the gentle rumble of thunder, watched the lightening in the distance, and breathed in the fresh scent of rain - meanwhile, the sun continued to shine brightly. And a faint rainbow rose from the mountains.

What a powerful display. It reminded me of God's faithfulness. Life gets hot - it can be difficult and frustrating. Even when circumstances change, I have to remember that God does not. He is the same God when everything is going well and when there are struggles.

He brings relief.

Sometimes it comes through a storm.

As I stood in awe, watching the rain pour down and the dark clouds looming overhead, I wondered how it was possible for the sun to shine brighter in a rain storm than when there was not a cloud in the sky.

That's what happens, sometimes doesn't it? We tend to see the Son more clearly in the midst of trials - in the middle of a storm. If we let him, he will show us mercy and grace. He can bring peace on a stormy day just as well as when there's not a cloud in the sky.

I was sure by now, God, You would have
reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.

And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

- Casting Crowns

No comments: