Wednesday, February 11, 2009

New news

Where do I start? It seems like so much happens between my posts.

STILL no Internet! I am once again at Paul's house so I can update the blog. The Internet people came to our house on Monday and spent nearly three hours on our roof. Then they came down and told me they couldn't find a signal. Then they left. I was in tears. The Internet is my contact with the outside world. We're looking at other options. Please pray we will be able to figure this out. It may seem like a small thing, but to me it's pretty important.

The most exciting thing that has happened in the past week is the birth of my grandniece! My niece Darcey had a baby girl on Friday, February 6. Her name is Adria Lynn and she weighed 9 pounds, 2 ounces. I CANNOT WAIT to see her! I'll be flying home next Tuesday and will be in town for a couple weeks. I'll try to bring some of the 80 degree, sunny weather with me.

Michael and I are adding another animal to our family. Last night we put a down payment on a puppy. I know. Can you believe it? Michael has been wanting a puppy for a long time and I finally gave in. I couldn't say no when the dumb thing fell asleep in my arms. We want to give her a Spanish name. I said we should name her Margarita. Michael said that was the name he was thinking about, too. Then we both - at the same time - said we could just call her Rita. So I'm sure that's what will stick. She has to stay with her mom for a couple more weeks. Then Michael will take her home to meet Belle, Sadie, and Vino the cat.

Speaking of Vino and the two dogs - they are still trying to get used to each other. Vino is getting more daring and will walk close to the dogs - but when the dogs get too close to him he lets out a terrible hissing noise and takes a swing with his paw. I think the dogs - especially Sadie - are more terrified of him than he is of them.

Vino looks down at the dogs in disgust from the top of our fridge.

A comfy hiding spot in my closet.

An even more comfy hiding spot under the blanket.

Where did that cat go?

Why can't we be friends?

Notice Sadie in the background? She was shaking uncontrollably at the thought of being so close to that cat.

In other news, Belle has developed a taste for cat poo. I saw her digging around the litter box one day and I figured she was just confused about why there would be a box of sand in the laundry room. So I told her no. A few hours later, there was a distinct unpleasureable odor wafting through the air. I walked around the house but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. It seemed to be coming from the dogs who were lying on the couch, but their hineys looked clean to me. Yes. I checked. Anyway, the next day as I was doing dishes, Belle came walking into the kitchen chewing on something. When I saw brown goo drip from her mouth and the horrible distinct smell of cat poo reached my nostrils, I nearly threw up. I actually did the cough thing that happens right before.... Anyway, I'll spare you the details. Let's just say I was - and continue to be - repulsed.

More to come...

4 comments:

Kate VanDerKolk said...

I can't believe you got a puppy when you were there and didn't wait till you came home to do it, I want to play with the puppy! Although maybe it's better that way because then Chad won't get any ideas about a third dog.

We had better see you when you come home, we can't wait.

KIM said...

Carrie - what kind of puppy are you getting? How exciting!!! Sorry about you dealing with cat poop eaters - yuck... I will never understand how dogs think thats a tasty treat!!! I hope you get internet soon - I can totally understand your reason for it being your connection to the world in a lot of ways - especially with you being in Mexico! Take care!!

MARIANNE said...

I love the last pic of Vino with his "paw of death". No wonder Sadie is terrified. I hope we get to see you when you are in town. I don't understand how they couldn't find a signal. Did they try a coat hanger and tin foil? :)

Chad.Ryan.VanDerKolk said...

For as nice and sweet and friendly as Belle is, she is still by far the world's most disgusting dog. Cat poo is mild is comparison to her usual appetite of dead deer parts and digging up old salmon carcasses (I remember watching her take down and entire squirrel once). Some where in her lineage is a goat.