Thursday, March 26, 2009

Window "Pains"

It's REALLY windy today.

I almost had an accident in my pants a few minutes ago when a swift gust of wind blew the laundry door shut! It was so loud - I thought it was a gunshot. A few minutes before that the kitchen curtain swept a bunch of Tupperware off the counter onto the floor, which also made a big crash.

Ahhhhh...... another door just slammed shut. My heart is beating a bit too fast for someone sitting on a couch watching TV and writing a blog. I'm going to go close the windows.

There. I'm back. Did you miss me?

Most of the screens in this house are just sitting in the window frames. The screens have metal frames and when it's windy they sway back and forth, crashing between the glass window and metal bars - even when the glass panes are shut because there's drafts. It's quite loud at times. So I guess I'll have to get used to sudden alarming noises today.

I used to keep the front door open on nice days with slight breezes. However, a few weeks ago I stopped doing that because a flock of birds flew in and gathered in the entryway! I was appalled. I had no idea what to do. Of course, the dogs were in the house and went nuts. Most of the birds quickly took off back through the front door. One bird, however, decided to go down the hallway toward the bedrooms.

It was chaos! Dogs barking and scampering around the house. Bird crashing into every window with desperate attempts to get back outside. Cat eagerly swatting at the terrified bird every time it came somewhat close, while hissing at the dogs when they came too close. Then the bird started pooping. As if it wasn't horrifying enough.

Then the bird darted into one of the bathrooms. I shut the door and contemplated what I should do next. The dogs stood there barking and whining and scratching at the closed door while looking up at me as if I was crazy for not locking them in there with the poor thing. So I went into the bathroom and closed the door behind me and opened the window - hoping he could escape. But all of our windows have bars to keep things OUT, which also keeps things IN.

Still at a loss of what to do, I grabbed my camera so I could at least document the moment. I didn't get very good pictures since the bird was fluttering in a panic all over the room, crashing into walls, hitting the shower curtain, falling to the floor, pooping, and flying into the window he thought would let him escape from this terror.




When I opened the bathroom door, the bird snuck out and took off down the hallway with two yelping dogs right behind, past a hissing cat, through the kitchen, around the dining room, then finally back out the front door. Wow.

So I don't leave doors open anymore. Just the rattling windows.

1 comment:

Krista said...

This post was exactly what I needed at this down point in the middle of my afternoon! You are always cracking me up with all of your animal stories! Keep em coming.