Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Spiders and moths and scorpions, oh my!

So... I thought I would add a little post of things that make me jump, scream, run, almost cry...



First of all, I should let you know that my computer crashed a few days ago. It was acting very strange, so I shut it down. When I tried to turn it back on, it informed me that there are files missing or corrupt and it will not go on. The past couple days have been very long without my connection to the outside world. I just got into the habit of watching the first hour of The Today show online with my morning coffee, then checking my emails, looking at Facebook, thinking about posting a new blog... So I have felt a bit lost.



The good news is, the day my computer died, we got our van back. So at least I have a car now and can escape from the house, if I so desire. My computer time may be limited to nights when Michael brings his home. I'll try to keep in touch as much as possible.



Now back to these lovely pictures. The one above is a common sight here in Mexico. HUGE moths! I found this one hanging out in my shower one morning. I thought it was a bat at first. Luckily, he stayed in that corner until I got out. Let's just say it was one of the fastest showers I have ever taken.


These little rolly poley guys are everywhere in our house. I'm not afraid of them, except for the crunch they make when I unexpectedly step on one. It makes me jump every time. I don't know where they come from, but I figure our house is where they come to die. I sweep up large numbers of them on a weekly basis.




Spiders! Where do I even begin? Well, I can start by telling you that one just scurried past as I started this blog. It was one of the larger black ones that can run really fast. Of course, I made a lunge to crush it with my flip flop and missed. It goes without saying that I will be worrying about him for the rest of the night. The one above is of the smaller variety. He decided to set up camp in a matter of hours on my freshly washed laundry.




Above is not a creepy creature, however it has caused some pain. These thorns are outside our house. The dogs are constantly picking them out of their paws. Once in a while, one gets tracked into the house. One day I stepped on one without shoes on - yeah, it hurt.




This large rat was brought to me courtesy of our dog Belle. Apparently she thought I loved disgusting half-chewed rodents. The dead rat didn't alarm me as much as the idea that if there are dead rats this big, there are rats out there alive and well. I am praying this is the last rat I see in Mexico.




Seriously! What is this? There are so many odd looking bugs and creatures. I think this might be some sort of beetle - another very common sight. Beetles in every shape, size and color.




Did I mention how much I despise spiders? I see these large guys lurking around every corner. This type - I have found - is also very speedy. There are many more types of spiders, but I think you get the idea.




What would a true Mexico experience be without cockroaches? I wouldn't know. The first day we moved into our house I found one on our bedroom wall. Once in a while I see one racing across the floor. For a while, they disappeared. But the other night I watched in wonder as our cat tried to climb up the wall. I thought he had finally gone nuts, but when I went to investigate, I realized that he was simply trying to make a new friend - or he thought we got him a fun new toy. I got onto a chair and swiped it off the ceiling with a flyswatter, but before I could smash it, the cat swooped in, grabbed it, and ran off. I chased him around the house, made him drop it, and quickly put an end to the game. Sorry, buddy. Maybe I'll get you a little ball with some bells or a cat-nip stuffed mouse.


We also have mosquitoes that enjoy snacking at night and the common housefly. I killed a little scorpion the other day, but in my haste and frantic wallops, it was no longer picture-worthy.


Most days go by without a sighting of the more ugly side of Mexico. And all in all, I have to remind myself that this is part of the adventure.


Tomorrow we head back to South Padre Island. We plan to camp on the beach again for a night and return Sunday.

1 comment:

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Is this part of our invitation?
What I have to look forward to?
Thinking that I should re-think this trip.... : )