Tuesday, April 28, 2009

This little piggy went to market...

Well, there may not be many market visits for a while with the Swine Flu in full swing.

Michael headed back to Mexico this morning and I am supposed to fly back next Tuesday. With the swine flu outbreak making the front page on every newspaper and highlighted on television channels literally around the world, I have to admit that I'm a bit uneasy about the whole thing. I hate being sick! And the media is making this sound like a horrific epidemic - mainly because they do not know much about this type of flu and how it will develop when it spreads.

Depending on the situation in Saltillo, there is a possibility that I would stay in Michigan longer than we planned. For now however, I am still planning to return next Tuesday. We'll see how things look in our area in a week. I am most worried about catching something during the flight on Mexican airlines - sitting closely to other people traveling back and forth to Mexico.

I'm a little frustrated with this latest development. We are planning to do some traveling during these last couple months and I've really been looking forward to that. It seems like the moment we made the decision to move to Mexico, the drug activity escalated. Safety has been a rising concern - and now we add earthquakes and a swine flu outbreak to the mix. I am thankful for our safety so far - and trust that God will continue to protect us. That is the most important thing - but I selfishly want to enjoy our time in Mexico and experience more of that country. There are places we want to go, things we want to see... It seems like things keep getting in the way. Perhaps there is a reason for this that I do not understand - and we've had some great experiences already. But there are a few places we have been talking about before we even arrived in Mexico - hopefully we'll be able to get to some before we move back home.

With that to say, I ask you to pray mainly for safety - for us and for others living in Mexico. Safety from natural disasters, from drug cartels, from illnesses, and from accidents. Not as important, but still a request, is prayers for opportunities to explore more of this country that will create lasting memories.

No comments: